Making a Living from Stock Footage with Alister Chapman
Proudly sponsored by Sony
As the video industry changes it’s important to keep an eye on different ways of making a living. More and more productions now make use of stock footage and as a result shooting and selling stock footage and building a library of content for purchase is a great way to supplement your existing income or you can make it you primary source of income. But it’s a competitive market and easy to make mistakes.
Alister Chapman has been successfully selling stock footage for 2 decades. In this workshop he will share his knowledge of the market and provide advice and guidance on how to make money with stock footage.
Throughout the day of training we will cover:
• What is stock footage and who uses it.
• How much can you realistically make selling stock footage.
• What sells and what doesn’t sell.
• What quality level do I need to achieve.
• Managing and storing your archive.
• Who owns the rights in what you shoot.
• People, faces, private property and rights issues.
• Release forms and clearances.
• The difference between rights managed and royalty free.
• Licence agreements.
• How to sell and market your material.
• Keywords and metadata.
• Figuring out your strategy.
Who is this workshop for?
• Skill Level - Intermediate
• People new to creating stock footage libraries
• Those looking to move towards creating stock footage full time
• People looking for a side income from their main video production job
Who is Alister Chapman?
Alister is one of the most highly respected cameramen / industry tutors around. Operating as a freelance DOP/producer/editor, Alister has worked in broadcast television since 1984. He has consulted on major projects for New York museums, provided stock footage to over 30 clients and filmed for the BBC, Sky, NBC and Discovery.
As a Sony ICE (Independent Certified Expert) Alister travels the world, running workshops and training professionals on Sony products. Despite his close connection to Sony, Alister has always maintained an objective, independant and unbiased viewpoint. Choosing the tools and workflows that work for him and his clients first and foremost.
What is ProAV Academy?
In response to high demand from our customers for high quality educational workshops, we are excited to be launching ProAV Academy. A program of training workshops, led by industry leading practitioners, offering working professionals across the industry opportunities to develop their craft.
We aim to cover a wide variety of video production topics, from essential camera skills and working with clients to audio technology and post-production. All with the aim of helping our customers upskill themselves and create better work for their clients.
Regular high quality training is incredibly important to ensure you are working to the best of your ability. We are very proud to be able to provide our customers with training workshops aimed at a variety of skill and experience levels. No matter your place within the industry, from those new to video, to established working professionals, ProAV Academy is your home for high quality learning in the UK.