Tascam DR-60DMKII 4-Channel Portable Recorder
The Only Portable Recorder Designed for DSLR Filmmakers
TASCAM's DR-60DmkII, an update of the award winning DR-60D, is the audio recording solution for on-set filmmakers and videographers. The streamlined design fits perfectly under a DSLR camera rig, without relying on bulky recorders or the limited audio quality of the camera’s microphone in. ProSound Network Best of Show The streamlined design fits perfectly under a DSLR camera rig, without relying on bulky recorders or the limited audio quality of the camera’s microphone in.
The DR-60DmkII is the next generation of 4-track solid-state recording, based on TASCAM’s decades of recording innovation. The upgraded HDDA microphone preamps provide up to 64dB of gain, capturing every nuance of a performance. Up to four channels at a time can be recorded to the internal SD Card, at up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV file resolution. Two of the mic inputs utilize locking XLR connectors with 48V phantom power, the other two use an 1/8” stereo connector for wireless and lavaliere microphones.
A Camera Output sends the mic mix to the camera for later synchronization, and a Camera Input is provided for monitoring playback. An additional headphone out and line out assist the crew during filming. The DR-60DmkII is designed for low-noise operation, including soft touch buttons and dedicated gain controls.
Multiple recording modes are available on the DR-60DmkII. Four-Channel Mode records all four microphone inputs. Dual Recording is an alternate setting, capturing a copy of your audio at a lower level for a distortion-free safety track. Menus and operation are well laid out, owing to decades of innovative recording design.
Reach beyond the limited performance of your camera’s audio to capture the other half of your film. At a cost less than competing preamps, the TASCAM DR-60DmkII is the ultimate 4-track recorder designed for filmmakers, television, live events and web broadcast.
High-Quality HDDA Mic Preamps
High quality mic preamps are a necessity for high-grade sound. The DR-60D's HDDA mic preamplifiers (High Definition Discrete Architecture) employ discrete circuitry and premium parts, approved after months of evaluation testing. The HDDA s circuit achieves an incredibly high EIN (-120dBu) for the lowest noise level available. The DR-60DmkII mic preamps have been upgraded for up to 64dB of gain with new XLR input jacks for greater cable compatibility.
A CIRRUS LOGIC's AD converter (used also on the DR-40 portable recorder) is used to ensure detailed recording from any input signal.
A Variety of Inputs and Outputs With Internal Mixing
The DR-60DmkII can record up to 4-tracks simultaneously, allowing multiple microphones to be used while filming. Inputs 1/L and 2/R can be selected for mono or stereo link operation.
Three sets of stereo outputs are provided. A Camera Out sends a reference track recording to the camera. The Line Out can feed a mixer or recorder. Finally, a powerful Headphone Out is available for direct monitoring. Each of these outputs has its own level control, and the Camera Out can be attenuated to microphone level without the need for an attenuating cable.
The DR-60DmkII has an internal digital mixer for all 4 tracks. Adjust pan and level, add a Limiter or Hipass Filter (40/80/120Hz), and set individual channel Delay from the user-friendly set-up. The DR-60DmkII is ready to use right out of the box with its external, non-menu-intensive controls.
Multiple Record Modes Meet Any Challenge On-Set
The DR-60DmkII includes several recording modes to adapt to any recording scenario:
MONO/DUAL MONO mode: Ideal for single source microphones, like using a shotgun together with a clip-on lavaliere mic
STEREO/DUAL STEREO mode: These modes are ideal for shooting with a stereo or mid-side microphone. A Mid-Side Decoder is built in, and can be added either during monitoring or before recording
4CH mode: This mode records all four microphone inputs to their own tracks.
DUAL MONO and DUAL STEREO mode: Records a back-up safety track in case levels are set too high and clipping occurs. The safety track can be set to record from -6dB to -12dB below the initial take. If an actor suddenly screams a line, you have a backup recording that isn’t distorted.
Every aspect of the DR-60DmkII is designed specifically for DSLR Audio for Video Recording. The keys of the unit are designed specifically for quiet operation to eliminate handling noise. The Slate feature is designed to mark tracks easily while in production. The input and output layout is designed for versatile use. Whether the device is used under a camera, on a rig or strapped around a solitary sound engineer, TASCAM's DR-60D will meet all on-site audio production needs.
Dedicated Camera Output
The CAMERA OUT connector sends the mix from the DR-60DmkII to your camera. An adjustable level control is provided, as many DSLR cameras lack an input control. The camera audio gets a clean mix from the DR-60DmkII to assist syncing tracks in editorial.
Most modern editors – including Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere – include a function to automatically synchronize audio recordings with camera clips. If your editing software lacks this feature, applications such as Red Giant PluralEyes can automate the process.
Slate Tone Generator for Tighter Lock
The internal slate tone generator produces various tones for easy track making and recognition. Slate tones can be generated two ways:
Automatic: Tones are added to the head or the head and tail of each clip (from 0.5 – 3 sec)
Manual: Push the SLATE button to record a tone
Ch 3 & 4 Inputs Support High-Output Microphones
The channel 3/4 input connector supports a high-level maximum input – up to +10dBV. Many microphones designed for use with video cameras have a high-level output and a 3.5mm output connector. Plug-in power is also available for microphones that need it.
Tripod Mounting on Top and Bottom
The DR-60D can be placed between a DSLR Camera and a tripod, or mounted to a cage or follow-focus rig. A tripod socket is on the bottom of the unit, and a (removable) tripod bracket is mounted on the top.
Lightweight Body Designed for Rugged Portability
The DR-60DmkII's body was manufactured with very rigid plastic for a durable but lightweight design. TASCAM understands how important weight is to steady camera movement when filmmaking. In addition to its light weight, the feature-rich DR-60DmkII is extremely compact. Only 5.25" wide, the DR-60DmkII won’t interfere with camera operation. All batteries can be replaced without removing the device from the Camera or tripod / rig.
- Record to SD/SDHC card (Up to 32GB)
- Simultaneously record up to 4 tracks
- Record Modes: MONO, STEREO, DUAL MONO, DUAL STEREO, 4-CHANNEL
- Recording format: 44.1/48/96kHz, 16 or 24-bit, WAV/BWF
- TASCAM HDDA microphone preamps wth 120dB EIN and 64dB of gain
- Recording levels can be adjusted independently for the 1/L, 2/R and 3-4 inputs
- Two combo XLR/TRS inputs support +4dBu mic/line level input
- Phantom power to channels 1/2 (24V or 48VDC on XLRF)
- Plug-in power and high-output mic input supported on inputs 3-4
- CAMERA OUT connector for output from the DR-60DmkII mixer (adjustable gain)
- CAMERA IN connector for sound monitoring from the camera
- Independent adjustable LINE OUT and HEADPHONE jacks for high-quality sound output
- 50mW/ch headphone amplifier
- Tripod mounting socket (bottom) and mounting screw attachment (top)
- Handles protect the screen and can be used to attach a shoulder strap
- Soft-Touch Rubber Keys for silent operation
- HOLD switch to prevent accidental operation
- QUICK button feature for easy access to various functions
- 128x64 pixel LCD with backlight
- USB 2.0 connection for high-speed transferring of files
- Mini USB cable included
- Operates on 4-AA batteries, an AC adapter (sold separately) or USB bus power
- Can extend battery life with BP-6AA battery pack (sold separately)
- Dedicated remote control jack for the wired RC-10 remote control or RC-3F footswitch (both sold separately)
- Internal mixer: PAN and LEVEL controls
- Low cut filter (40/80/120Hz)
- Limiter (1/L and 2/R can be selected for linked operation)
- Delay function for microphone distance adjustment (up to 150ms)
- M-S decode functionSlate tone generator (AUTO/MANUAL)
- Selectable duration of slate tone from four positions (0.5/1/2/3 sec, when auto-generated)
- Selectable slate tone generation. (3 positions: OFF/HEAD/HEAD+TAIL, when auto-generated)
- File naming format can be set to use a user-defined word or date
- Dual-recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels
- Auto-record function can automatically start and stop recording at set leve
- lPre-recording function allows the unit to record a 2 second sound buffer before recording is activated
- Self-timer function for solo recording
- New file starts recording automatically without interruption when maximum file size is reached
- Track incrementing function allows a recording to be split by creating a new file when desired
- Jump back and play function
- Equalizer function for playback, and level alignment function to enhance the perceived overall sound pressure
- Resume function to memorize the playback position before the unit is turned off
- MARK function up to 99 points per audio track
- DIVIDE function